Sunday, January 4, 2009

On the 7th Day of Christmas we ice skated on the Mall

Driving from our extended stay in Maryland to family in Virginia (our Christmas destination) took us right through Washington D.C. I insisted we stop even though the temperature was in the 30's and the kids know nothing of the historic importance of the monuments. I lived in DC for three years while going to law school, and in that time I grew to really love the city. There is just something so special about our nation's capitol... There's plenty I could grumble about (like the parking) but being there walking along the reflecting pool, staring at the Washington Monument, giving our kids their first glimpse of the White House...it just felt special beyond words. So we found a parking spot, braved the cold and had a blast touring the Lincoln Memorial, Korean War Monument, and the frozen reflecting pool. I can't wait to go again!


No comments: