Sunday, August 24, 2008

A California Girl at a Virginia Wedding

Andrew and I attended a wedding of one of his co-workers and long-time friend (they were actually roommates back in Pennsylvania before Andrew moved to California). The wedding was in Williamsburg, Virginia. We took the kids to their cousins in North, Carolina (where they had a fabulous weekend, thank you, Aunt Janice and Uncle John!) and set off for the wedding (and 24 hours by ourselves!) Anyway, I realized packing for the trip that I do not own any nice shoes. I have bad ankles, their weak and permanently swollen and ugly so I just don't buy nice shoes unless I have to. Well, I needed nice shoes for this wedding. Fortunately, thanks to hand-me-downs I had a very nice maternity dress. I just needed shoes. So, it's the day of the wedding, we have a 4 hour drive for a 4:00 wedding and I wanted to go shoe shopping :) Janice loaned me a pair that would work but they were a bit more heel than I'm used to, and I decided I should own a pair of basic nice black shoes! We went shopping en route and I found nothing. I decided to just wear Janice's shoes promising myself post-pregnancy to invest in a nice pair of shoes! But now we were running late. We quickly checked-in at the hotel, got ourselves dressed and back to the car. We made it barely in time to see the bride walk down the aisle but we made it, and the wedding proceeded nicely. But about halfway through the ceremony, I looked down and started laughing. I had to bite my cheek. I nudged Andrew, pointed at my feet and he started chuckling. Somehow we managed to keep our giggles muted but it was hard! So why were we laughing...
After all that hustle and bustle shopping, I wore my brown Rainbow flip-flops to the wedding! Andrew lovingly whispered in my ear, "I knew I could take the girl out of California but couldn't take the California out of the girl." I changed my shoes before the reception and the rest of the evening was beautiful although my flip-flops would have been more comfortable :)

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I LOVE this post! How adorable!! Anyone seeing how pregnant you are better not care that you wore flip flops to a wedding!
And you were in Williamsburg? Just TWO hours from here? That kills me! I really hope we get to see you guys some now that you're on the east coast! My sister now lives in Raleigh. I wonder if we could meet halfway sometime. Hmmmm. Something to think about!