Sunday, December 9, 2007

Thanksgiving Premiere

Thanksgiving is many people's favorite holiday. I've heard reasons like I love the food or there are no gifts, it's just about family. And while those reasons are nice, Thanksgiving isn't my favorite holiday. It just seems like another reason to get together and eat. And while I like eating and spending time with family and having my husband for a four-day weekend, I've just never felt anything particularly special about Thanksgiving. Well now that I have kids old enough to learn and create holiday traditions, I have reason to make Thanksgiving meaningful. Thankfully, my sister Casey and her family did that for me. For our Thanksgiving at Aunt Edie and Uncle Kenn's (happy turkey day birthday to you, Kenn!) the Longs put together a First Annual Thanksgiving Day performance. The boys created a cardboard Mayflower and costumes, and with Dad Stacy as narrator, they performed the story of the First Thanksgiving for all the adults. Jason and Beth were so proud to be pilgrims, and even Adam strutted his stuff as an Indian. It was an educational, funny and entertaining success. Beth still wears her pilgrim hat weeks later! And after all is said and done, I must admit that the food and hanging out time with the family was pretty special, too.

(This picture of Caleb, Tori and Beth is after the play. They created their own adventure of kings, pilgrims and indians...I don't think Pilgrims fought with swords but go Beth!)

No comments: