Saturday, November 6, 2010

Free to be you and me...

We were listening to "Free To Be You and Me," and Jason asked me to explain the song. For those who don't know the song the part that confused him goes like this: Take my hand, come with me where the children are free...He wanted to know where they are going, what land is this. I started explaining that it's not a specific place but more a way of thinking. They are trying to encourage children to be free to be whatever they want to be. Jason then says, "but we live in a free country!" I then tried to explain that even though we are free, people may think it's wrong, or strange if you wanted to be a ballet dancer or if Beth wanted to be a firefighter but that's not wrong or strange and we should be free to be what we want to be, and that is why people write songs like this. I told them to follow their dreams. Adam then pipes in, "like me! I had a dream last week that I wanted to be Buzz Lightyear and then for Halloween, I was!" Yes, Adam, you were, and I pray you will always be free to follow your dreams!

No comments: