Thursday, September 11, 2008

Identity Crisis

I dragged my feet and refused to admit for the longest time that we were moving to Georgia but eventually I started to accept and even embrace the move. Today I conquered another hurdle toward admitting I've moved: I got a Georgia license. When Andrew first mentioned we needed to get new licenses and plates I adamantly opposed the idea. Why would I get a new license? My California license is good for many more years and I'm a California girl! I lived in DC for three years and stayed a California resident even voting absentee. Why change now? He calmly explained that I could no longer use my parent's California address and needed to admit that my car, home, etc...are insured in Georgia and they need a Georgia ID. Fine, I'll do it but I'm not in any hurry but then we got a letter from our car insurance. We had to get registered in Georgia or they would cancel our policy and to register your vehicle you must have a Georgia license, ugh! There looked to be no options. And to top it all off, I'm reading a book about recovering from moving that my sister (who had to move from California to Illinois years ago because of her husband's job) sent me. The first thing the book says to do is get a license, something about denial, whatever...So today, Andrew and I got up early and headed to the driver's license office. We brought all the paperwork and prepared to admit we live in Georgia now. To make it even more difficult they require you to relinquish your California license. Even Andrew tried to argue against that one (I think he was worried I would refuse). What really got me as I put the new license in my wallet was the license number. I've had the same license number since I got my license at 16. I kind of always assumed it would be mine, like a social security number or something but no, it's gone. Am I allowed to cry over the loss of a number? Well, at least it's a decent picture, and I was allowed to make up a number for my weight since the lady agreed with me that my current weight at 8 months pregnant will not be accurate for 5 years. Ok, it's done. I survived. I'm moving on. Sigh...

2 comments:

Marcie said...

I can completely relate to this! Only, don't hate me, I was able to keep my CA license - they (AZ DMV) just insisted on punching a hole in it. I guess Georgia has a more strict policy. It's hard to move -on many levels. And I think it's okay to cry about the license since you're probably crying for a bunch of reasons all at once. You'll always be a California girl, license or not.

Marcie

The Land of the Story-Books said...

I had to laugh at this. I just found your blog from a posting on FISH-Moms and I have to say that this whole thing is funny. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, and I'm sorry this has all been so hard, but I have to tell you a secret. I have a friend who just had to move to California and she's holding on to Georgia with everything she's got. I've been to California once in my life (if you don't count all the times passing through LAX) and I totally sympathize with her. Roots are deep wherever they're planted! I hope Georgia is good to you!

Suzanne