Thursday, February 14, 2008

My baby's getting too big...or maybe not

We spent the day at California Adventure. Stephen wanted to go on the big roller coaster so I decided we'd ride the carousel while we waited for him. Jason looks at me and says he's too big for a ride like the carousel. It won't be any fun for a big boy like him. My heart sank. Does he really think he's too big? I realize part of this is coming from him not being big enough for the roller coaster (he's got another 1/2 inch!) but ugh...turning 5 has it's downsides! Ok, I patiently asked him if he wouldn't mind riding with us since Beth and Adam really wanted to ride. And he replies, ok, I guess I can ride the carousel one more time. We get on and follow a very excited Beth who is heading straight for a pink dolphin (this is King Triton's underwater carousel). And what animal is right next to her...a green whale! Jason happily hopped on and we even pretended to hold our breath as the ride began (you know, cuz we're underwater.) Jason enjoyed the ride so much that we stayed on for a second turn at his request! (There was no line, it was a quiet day at California Adventure). He pet his whale and showed us all how cool that the whale even had green eyes! I am so thrilled that he can still find joy on a baby ride like the carousel. Whew!

PS As we leave California Adventure, anyone who wants to usually rides Big Bear Rapids (during the off-season when there's no line because who wants to get soaked in February?) That way if you get wet, it's ok cuz we're heading home anyway. Well, today Stephen said he didn't feel like riding so looking to bond on Valentine's Day with my son who is growing up too fast, I ride with him. It was a cold day, in the 60's here in SoCal so you'd think I would have been wiser but you'd also think Disneyland could afford to heat the water! I seriously felt like ice water was being thrown at me from every angle! I screamed and laughed the whole time and yes, I'm not proud to say it, I used my son as a shield. I have to confess since Stephen caught me on film. Going down the hill he misses but me using Jason as a shield from the erupting water, he catches perfectly! And note in the picture...we're the only ones on the ride!

No comments: