Saturday, June 27, 2009

To Rome

So what, you ask, did I do for my birthday? I went to Rome. I even met Paul and many, many other interesting people. Yes, I spent the last week at our church participating in an awesome Vacation Bible School. Andrew and I were the Grammaticus School teachers helping children to make an abacus while asking them if they've ever heard of the religious teacher, Jesus (we weren't Christians but curious. It was a fun role to play.) There was singing, dancing, crafts, costumes (Beth wore her family color of red to match her sash as much as possible even if it meant wearing long sleeves in this heat!), games, food, and story time with Paul under house arrest. Our kids had a great time although the Roman soldiers, played mostly by our high schoolers, where a bit too real for Adam. Jill, however, had no problem hanging out with them .Jill also took a nap every night. Rome was a busy, tiring adventure!Jason asked on our way home the last night why it couldn't last all month. We had so much fun, and I'm thrilled at all they learned and enjoyed. And how many people can say they spent their birthday in Rome! (Thanks to all who surprised me with birthday treats in Rome on my birthday, especially my wonderful husband who orchestrated the surprise!)

No comments: